What You Can Do To Help
- Community members have an important role in protecting children from abuse and neglect.
- Fear of involvement has resulted in violent family tragedies in which the neighbors reported that they knew what was going on but declined to get involved.
- Involvement does not mean physical intervention or snooping on your neighbor; it simply means not ignoring the obvious.
- If maltreatment of a child abuse is suspected, a report should be made so that a qualified and experienced person can investigate the situation.
- To report suspected child abuse, contact: the police or county sheriff or the county Children’s Protective Services 24-hour emergency response phone.