Women, Infants & Children (WIC)
Welcome to WIC!
Current Situation of Infant Formula
- A national shortage of infant formula is impacting all states.
- Efforts to mitigate the shortage are occurring at state and national level.
- Parents and caregivers who face a shortage should call their healthcare providers first to help them navigate formula options when supplies are scarce.
- Parents and caregivers are advised to NOT dilute formula or use homemade recipes for substitution as this can seriously harm a baby's health.
- Babies usually tolerate alternative formula products except in the case of special therapeutic formula and that's why it's important to consult with their healthcare provider first to get help or to discuss alternatives.
Families across the nation are feeling the impact of the infant formula shortage. The purpose of this site is to provide the latest information about the shortage and connect California families in need of formula to helpful resources.
Parents and caregivers who have a hard time finding formula should:
- Call their healthcare provider to see if they have in-office samples or can suggest a similar formula.
- NOT dilute formula, NOT make homemade formula, and NOT provide toddler formula.
- Reach out to their local WIC office if they are current WIC participants or are eligible for WIC.
- Try another brand of formula, if available. Babies usually tolerate alternative products except in the case of special therapeutic formula. For babies on therapeutic formula, consult with a healthcare provider first to get help or to discuss alternatives.
WIC Participants, did you know that you can do your nutrition appointments online, in minutes? It’s easy to sign up, complete your profile and learn about something that interests YOU! Want more info? Text “wichealth” to 888-422-1622 or call us at 530-865-8791.
Participantes de WIC: ¿Sabían que pueden hacer sus citas de nutrición en línea, en minutos? ¡Es fácil registrarse, completar su perfil y aprender sobre algo que le interese! ¿Quiere más información? Envíe un mensaje de texto que diga "wichealth" al 888-422-1622 o llámenos al 530-865-8791.
The California WIC Card and free App make shopping easier than ever!
WIC provides healthy foods such as:
- Fruits and vegetables
- Milk, cheese, eggs
- Soy milk and tofu
- Juice, cereal
- Whole grains (whole wheat bread and tortillas, corn tortillas, brown rice, barley and bulgur)
- Dried beans and peas, peanut butter
- Infant formula with iron
- Infant cereal, fruits and vegetables
These foods do not meet all the daily requirements and are only intended to supplement the diet.
WIC provides nutrition assessment and education including:
- Limited assessment and screening by staff who are trained in maternal and child health
- Individual nutrition education
- Nutrition and health group sessions
- Instructions in food preparation and tips for food shopping
For more nutrition information, visit: www.myfamily.wic.ca.gov
WIC provides breastfeeding education and support:
- Participants receive encouragement, education and help with breastfeeding
WIC provides referrals to:
- Health care
- Substance abuse counseling and treatment
- Support services for food, income and housing
- Domestic violence services
- Dental health services
- Child support services
For more information about WIC visit: www.wicworks.ca.gov
- Low income families who have incomes at 185% or less of the Federal poverty level
- Working families may be eligible
Eligible family members include:
- Women who are pregnant, breastfeeding, or non-breastfeeding, and/or
- Infants and children under the age of 5 years
To see if you qualify, check the Income Guideline Requirements