Household Hazardous Waste
Many products found in your home are potentially hazardous substances. Because of their chemical nature, they can poison, corrode, explode, or ignite easily when handled improperly. When discarded, they are considered household hazardous waste. Since they may threaten human health or the environment when inappropriately disposed of, household hazardous wastes are not exempt from California hazardous waste laws.
It is illegal to dispose of household hazardous waste in the trash, down storm drains, or onto the ground.
What Types Household Hazardous Waste Does The Glenn
County Transfer Station Currently Accept?
- Used Oil and Oil Filters
- Latex Paint
- Oil Based Paint
- Deck and Floor Coatings
- Primers and Sealers
- Shellacs, Varnishes, Urethanes
- Metal Coatings and Rust Preventers
- Field and Lawn Paints
What Are Examples of Potential Household Hazardous Wastes?
Many common household products are considered household hazardous waste when they are discarded. The following are examples of these products:
- Latex and oil-based paints
- Paint thinners and strippers
- Grease and rust solvents
- Wood and metal cleaners
- Nail polish and removers
- Household polishes and cleaners
- Oven cleaners
- Drain openers
- Lighter fluids
- Fungicides and wood preservatives
- Insecticides, herbicides, and rat poisons
- Used oil and oil filters
- Fuel injection and carburetor cleaners
Why Are They Hazardous?
Household hazardous wastes are considered hazardous because they fit into one or more of the following categories:
- Toxic: Poisonous or lethal when ingested, touched, or inhaled—even in small quantities.
- Flammable: Ignites easily.
- Corrosive: Eats away materials and living tissue by chemical action.
- Reactive: Creates an explosion or produces deadly vapors (e.g., bleach mixed with ammonia-based cleaners).
Before buying a product, read the label. Signal words can serve as a guide to the purchases you make. With pesticides, DANGER means highly toxic, WARNING means moderately toxic, and CAUTION means slightly toxic. With household products, POISON means highly toxic, DANGER means extremely flammable or corrosive or highly toxic, WARNING or CAUTION means less toxic.
What Problems Can Occur?
Improper handling or disposal of products containing hazardous ingredients can result in serious accidents to people and animals, who can be seriously harmed by drinking, eating, touching, or breathing household hazardous wastes.
- Refuse workers and landfill workers can be injured by chemical splashes or poisonous fumes caused by mixed or concentrated household hazardous wastes.
- Firefighters can be injured by these household hazardous wastes when responding to a fire.
- The environment can be seriously damaged when groundwater used for drinking or irrigation is contaminated with household hazardous waste products that have been poured onto or have seeped into the ground.
- Bacteria needed to break down sewer and septic tank wastes can be destroyed by untreated household hazardous wastes.
How Do I Avoid Accidents?
Never leave household hazardous products or wastes within reach of children or pets. When possible, buy products with less harmful ingredients (read the labels). When using a product, read and follow the label directions, never mix it with other products, and use it up entirely. Do not dispose of household hazardous wastes in the trash, on the ground, or in storm or sewer drains. Do not remove product labels, and do not remove products from their original containers.
How Do I Properly Manage Household Hazardous Waste?
- Reduce by purchasing only the amount you need.
- Reuse the products by donating unused portions to friends or community organizations.
- Recycle leftover household hazardous products that are recyclable and dispose of the others safely by participating in your local household hazardous waste collection program.
- ABOP Drop
- You can recycle your antifreeze, batteries, oil and latex paint at the transfer station.